Saturday, February 18, 2017

Earth, Water, Fire, Air

I am in the process of decorating my living room. During this process, I have sat down and thought about ways that I have decorated in the past that I have really enjoyed. My favorite living room was in this old apartment building from the early 1900's. I had a corner apartment in the basement. This apartment could have gone gloomy really fast but with its high ceilings, plenty of windows, and my elemental decor, it was quite welcoming. I love introducing the four elements into a room. It brings harmony and calm to any room of your home. Here are some simple ideas on how you can bring each of the elements to your rooms and how they can help with anxiety and depression.

Earth

Don't be afraid to have live plants in any room of your home. Have a beautiful ivy or small potted tree in your living room. Place a pot of jasmine or lavender in your bedroom to help with sleep. Put a little bamboo plant or succulent in the bathroom. Have small herb pots in the window sill of your kitchen. Plants eat carbon dioxide and release oxygen. The tasks of watering and maintaining and grooming indoor plants can be calming in its repetitions. Also, the greenery and flowers can be very pleasing to the eye which can also reduce anxiety and depression.

Water

I love the sound of a babbling brook. Obviously I can't have a brook flowing through my home so I go with the next best thing, indoor water fountains. These can be found for as little as $5 at your local dollar store, but they are priceless for having the sounds of a waterfall. Water fountains can be placed in any room of your house and can be as big or as small as you want them to be. The water sound is the perfect white noise and has been proven to reduce anxiety.

Fire

I love candles. I am a candleaholic. I love candles in every room of my house. I change scents of candles out with the seasons. I will also light certain candles, depending on my anxiety levels, that may help my anxiety levels, such as lavender and jasmine. The flickering glow can be very calming and relaxing and can even help with bringing one into a relaxed state for breathing exercises and guided meditation. Candles should always be used under supervision. If you have a fire anxiety, there are electronic candles that give off the same flickering glow and some even have scents. Sometimes I like the glow and smells of my Scentsy warmer and it will substitute for a candle as well. 

Air

Nothing says air in a home like opening the windows. Fresh air is necessary. We need the fresh air and sun to thrive. Darkness breeds depression and anxiety. Sunshine and breeze gives us vitamins and energy. If you can't or don't want to open the windows, at least open the curtains or blinds for a while each day and let some light in your home. A little light each day can help battle the darkness.

These are all my opinions. I feel that introducing all of these elements into as many rooms of your home as possible can really have benefits to your mental health. I did research some on the benefits of each element and it seems that there is quite a bit of information that also agrees with me. I need to get some plants for my home and then I think I'll be set. Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below. Please subscribe to my blog and leave me a +1 if you enjoyed this.

No comments:

Post a Comment